Re: v6.0.37 archive logs

From: <cdjohnson_at_delphi.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 94 21:21:54 -0500

Last weekend I did a "dry run" test recovery to verify our production backup system (offline backup + archive logging to disk, copying to tape). I first restored our offline backup, then started up the database to see if the offline backup was valid. It started up fine. I then shut down the database, did a STARTUP MOUNT, CONNECT INTERNAL, and then a RECOVER DATABASE MANUAL to apply the offline redo logs. The database gave me a "ORA-600: Internal error msg. that makes your hair stand up: [3020] []" I called Oracle tech support (on a Saturday night, no less) and found out from the very helpful and knowledgable support engineer that the "3020" parameter generally means something is amiss with the log file. The original poster did not specify any parameters, but you might check for a 3020 or something similar.

BTW, the reason that the recovery generated the error in my case was that one MUST NOT start up the database to "check it out" prior to doing the archive log recovery. I don't recall reading this in the DBA Guide, but when I restored the offline backup again and tried to recover the database, it worked like a champ.

I hope you find your problem...

  • Christopher Johnson Thomson Consumer Electronics cdjohnson_at_delphi.com