ACCESS <--> Oracle, Sybase

From: Chi-Cheong Weng <weng_at_leland.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 19 Feb 1994 09:41:52 GMT

 I have several questions concerning to using ACCESS to develop front-end  GUI application to access data on Oracle 7 and Sybase SQL server  (latest version ).

   I know that the application developed by Microsoft Access should be    ODBC enabled. Imagine there is a network and an Oracle 7 or Sybase server is    hooked on the network. The network is a TCP/IP network.

   Now, I have several PCs which are running Windows 3.1 and there are GUI    application developed by ACCESS running on the Windows. I hope to access    data on the Server from my machines.

  1. What else network software do I need ? ( the application is already ODBC enabled. )
  2. Will there be any advantage to use Novell Netware or Windows for Workgroups ?
  3. What will be the advantage of using Novell Netware over Windows for Workgroups in this case ? Must we use Novell ? What network software do you recommend ?
  4. It seems that I can save a lot of money to use ACCESS to develop the application rather than use Oracle or Sybase clients , do you think so ? Do you think if there wil be any disadvantage to use ACCESS to develop our own application rather than using Oracle or Sybase client softwares ?
  5. To develop a GUI based application by using ACCESS FormWirzards and other software to develop queries ( btw, what is name of the software to help me develop queries ? do I still need to program a lot if I use that software ? How can it help me ? ) Do I need some additional C compiler such Visual C++ 1.5 ?
  6. If I am going to call Microsoft Media Player in my application , do I need OLE support compiler such as Visual C++ 1.5 ? ( I know that Microsoft ACCESS supports OLE2 ).
  7. Compare to using Oracle Forms 4.0 or PowerBuilder to develop front end application, which will be much more time saving ?
  8. If we are going use a Sparc 1 or Sparc 2 as a workstation , must the workstation dedicated to the server software , ( which means I cannt't install other software except the server software )
  9. To develop an client application against Oracle or Sybase server:
  10. using Visual C++ 1.5 ii. using Visual Basic iii. using Power builder iw. using Microsoft ACCESS

     What is the trade off between them ?

10 .

I have just started using MS Access on PC as frount-end (ODSC/NET-LIB/PC-NFS) into a remote Sybase DB on Unix box.

Does MS Access send an SQL call directly to the remote Sybase DB on Unix (so that the Sybase engine does all the work including such things as arithmetic), then return the data results to MS Access?

OR .. Does MS Access send an SQL call to the MS Access engine, then ODBC has to transfer data between the Sybase Server to the PC for MS Access engine to process the data (such as arithmetic), then THESE results are send to the application?

 You reply will be very appreciated and helpful.

 please mail to weng_at_leland.stanford.edu. I don't check this newsgroup
 regularly.        Received on Sat Feb 19 1994 - 10:41:52 CET

Original text of this message