Re: We need a database, but which one?

From: Ed Steinman <esteinma_at_aal.itd.umich.edu>
Date: 16 Feb 1994 17:27:30 GMT

In article <CL0C2u.9xK_at_dnsserv.go.dlr.de> Geoff Walters, RMCB_at_DLRVMS.GO.DLR.DE writes:
>of our PC networks. The main question for use is "Which one?"
> We have narrowed the choice down to two: Oracle and Foxpro. The reason

Oracle is:
 much faster
 much more pwerful tuning capablitites (e.g. memory and file management)  more stable
 easier to code (if using Forms)
 easier to maintain (e.g. don't have to worry about number of "open" tables and indexes)
 much easier and safer when providing for security and backup  deals with concurrency problems without any intervention (unlike Fox)  harder to learn but worth the effort
 has very good phone support
 etc.

I've written in both-there's no comparison. However if the application is easy, small and not worth the cost of Oracle then go with Fox.

Ed Steinman                                                   What the
Zen Buddhist said to the
Computing Unit, School of Dentistry               hot dog vendor:
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1078                              "Make me one with
everything."
313-764-9850
FAX 313-747-4024
Internet: ed.steinman_at_um.cc.umich.edu Usenet: esteinma_at_aal.itd.umich.edu Received on Wed Feb 16 1994 - 18:27:30 CET

Original text of this message