Re: HELP! VMS Ada process in MUTEX state

From: Esther Lumsdon <esther_at_verdix.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 22:51:10 GMT

gijs_at_mbase97.hacktic.nl (Gijs Bok) writes:

>Thanks to all who replied.

>I solved the problem: it turned out the timer queue entries quota was
>too low. These entries are used for every active delay statement. The slowness
>is perfectly explained: some delays were delayed because there were
>other delays active.

>I found out by reading the Ada runtime manual searching for quota-related
>text. Too bad VMS doesn't have a tool that informs you on what resource
>an MWAITing process is waiting.

The installation guide for DEC's VMS Ada compiler mentions UAF quotas to be careful of, and gives suggested quotas. When I've been a system manager at sites with DEC's VMS Ada compiler, I have always given the Ada accounts _at least_ DEC's recommended minimum. Increasing these UAF quotas has always been an early step in my debugging methods, right after finding that installation guide in my office.

I think there's a tool available from DECUS which diagnoses what resource a process is MWAITing for. There's the MWAIT package and FREE_RSN.

--
-- Esther Lumsdon, not a tech support engineer, and not speaking for Verdix.
esther_at_verdix.com           I wanna be where the sky is Carolina blue!