Method 3 vs. Method 4 problem

From: Todd Richmond <todd_at_storm01.aadt.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 23:09:07 GMT

HPUX 9.0, Oracle 7.0.15

We converted some of our frequently used SQL transactions from Method 4 to Method 3 in the hope that we would reduce the load on our server by reducing parsing time of the statement (the transactions are being fed to Oracle via a Pro*C application).

Sure enough, the parsing time was reduced (according to the tracing information dumped by the database). However, the total transaction time increased. We verified that the SQL, the database, and the data had not changed. The correct index is in place.

Any ideas as to why the fetch time went up?

| Todd E. Richmond |"This 'Night Train' is a mean |
| American Airlines | wine!" |
| Decision Technologies, Inc. | |
| E-mail: todd_at_aadt.com | Joliet Jake Blues |
| Voice: 817-967-1872 | |