PC Oracle opinions?

From: Andrew McBurnie <amcb_at_sydney.DIALix.oz.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 11:09:51 GMT

Does anyone have an opinion on the PC version of Oracle? I remember when it first appeared, it was generally regarded as a not really a good product on the PC, and had many facilities omitted.

Our choice for a major new product looks like being between products such as MS Access, Borland Paradox, <x>base, etc ... the usual PC database stuff ... and PC Oracle. This is for a not overly complex data model - say twenty entities, but with a fair bit of sub-typing. The actual data to be stored is not large, and could easily be handled by any of the major PC database products. But for our purposes, an Oracle development on a PC would be very convenient.

How does the PC version of Oracle rate against the equivalent on a Unix box, assuming you have a top end, powerful PC? At least a 386DX with plenty of memory.

Will the PC version of Oracle run under MS Windows?

AMcB Received on Tue Feb 15 1994 - 12:09:51 CET

Original text of this message