Large DB Import Solution

From: STOCKHOLDING CORPORATION OF INDIA LTD. <hemant_at_shakti.ncst.ernet.in>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 09:56:28 GMT

Re The Large Import Problem

I have received some messages about the problem.

They relate to the following areas :
1. Too large INSERT BUFFER size.
We have used 40MB Insert buffer sizes before.( a number of times). The Oracle Error number and manual talk of a "LONG" column where the error occurs. We had no long columns in the table.

2. Insufficient Rollback.
For a 1GB table we allocate 1.5GB space for the single rollback segment doing the import.

3. Set COMMIT=Y
For this particular table (or,for that matter, any table) we DO NOT want COMMIT=Y and get part of the table. Its either the whole table or none.

What we finally found was that restoring the same export file from another backup media and using the fresh copy, the import went through. Received on Sat Feb 12 1994 - 10:56:28 CET

Original text of this message