WAN Distributed Oracle Database Applications

From: Patrick Gannon <pgannon_at_jpmorgan.com>
Date: 11 Feb 1994 18:36:30 GMT

I am interested in hearing anyone's experiences in setting up a distributed database application which has run over a large WAN (worldwide). Does Oracle have the capability to keep several data servers synchronized? The application I have in mind would need to distribute approximately 50 Megs of data to each of several locations worldwide (or approximately 250 Megs of data if I were to replicate the data completely).

The need for this application is as follows: multiple locations worldwide, each performing intense computations on different subsets of the data on a daily basis (although a shorter timeframe would be preferable). An alternative would be to simply do many of these calculations centrally, and then distribute the results to the locations, but this is not ideal since it precludes quick recalculations. The problem is: I am not sure if it can be really done.

Some issues that come to mind for me include: Can Oracle do this at all (I think so), are there networks out there which can reasonably support this type of application with acceptable speed, and are there better solutions.

Please let me know what you think via email to gannon_p_at_jpmorgan.com, or by posting here.

Thank you for your time.

Patrick Gannon
Associate, J.P. Morgan
gannon_p_at_jpmorgan.com
My opinions do not reflect the opinions of J.P. Morgan in any way. Received on Fri Feb 11 1994 - 19:36:30 CET

Original text of this message