Re: commit every x rows (V6)

From: Steve Corbett <p0070623_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 11 Feb 1994 06:16:24 -0600

Yves Noel (noel_at_omega.univ-lille1.fr) wrote:

: In article <jdennisCKz8AM.223_at_netcom.com>, jdennis_at_netcom.com (John Dennis) writes:
: |>Oh I wish. Ran into same problem. Had to use PL/SQL.
: |>
: |>Steve Corbett (p0070623_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk) wrote:
: |>: I have some Sql that goes like...
: |>: delete table_a;

: |>: Besides writing it in Pl/Sql to build a loop with a commit every x
: |>: transactions, are there any ways of getting oracle to do a periodic
: |>: commit?

: I call again to you that there's a SET AUTO[COMMIT] {OFF|ON|IMM[EDIATE]} term
: under SQL*Plus that which seems respond to your problem !!!

no it does not :(

: This controls when ORACLE commits pending changes to the database.
: ON commits pending changes to the database after ORACLE executes each SQL
: command or PL/SQL block.

  ^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^

 exactly! after the command finishes, in my example after the delete finishes - if i am deleting 10,000 rows the commit is done after the 10,000th row, rollback segments may not be big enough. I want to delete 10,000 (for eg) rows in one statement but get Oracle to do the commit after each one (or 100, or x rows).

: OFF (the default) suppresses automatic committing, so that you must commit
: changes manually (for example with the SQL command COMMIT).
: IMMEDIATE functions in the same manner as the ON option.
: SQL*PLus User's Guide and Reference version 3.0 - page 6-56.
: Hope this help !

no sorry, but thanks for the effort.

--
Steve Corbett.                        vvv
                                     [. .]