Re: Binary GIF into Oracle Database and out again

From: David Colello <dcolello_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 1994 00:14:59 GMT

In <CKzBFo.Eo6_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>, asc_at_cix.compulink.co.uk ("Tony Scott") writes:
>Well, yes. I didn't actually state it but what I meant was that ordinary
>mortals who are not C programmers and hardly know what OCI means (like
>me) have to do it like that.
>
>I'll be more specific about that sort of thing in this newsgroup in
>future and humbly remember where I am. (Mind you, I still think that
>"anyone", as in "anyone can write an app" is stretching it a bit far).
>
>This refers to these articles:
>> In <CKvpHz.219_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>, asc_at_cix.compulink.co.uk ("Tony
>> Scott") writes:
>> >As I understand it, in order to get pictures into an Oracle RDBMS you
>> >have to use an Import function in one of the tools.
>> >
>> >Tony Scott
>> >(via OLR)
>>
>> Not true. Using v7 OCI, anyone can write an app that inserts long
>> binary
>> data into the database. Just use the LONG RAW datatype [24] when
>> binding
>> in OCI, and you'll be fine. On the Windows platform, you'll need to use
>> the LONG VARRAW type [95]. The only restriction is that in order to
>> insert a
>> big picture, you'll have to be able to malloc() space for it in 1 big
>> hunk.
>> There is no piece-wise insert, as there is for piece-wise fetching [via
>> oflng()].
>>

>> Dave Colello
>> dcolello_at_oracle.com
>>
>> The views expressed here are my own and not my employer's.
>

>Tony Scott
>(asc_at_cix.compulink.co.uk)

Oops...sorry for the confusion.

There are apps out there that do what you want, at least on Windows.   (I assume this is the platform you're running, since you don't say in   your note).

I've fielded questions from Gupta and PowerSoft about how to get this done,   and I basically told them what I told you above. Likewise, our own   Oracle Card can do it. If you have a particular app in mind, you might   want to inquire whether they've implemented this or not. If not, ask them   why not.

As far as Oracle products that you get, the CDE tools might have this   functionality in them somewhere, but I'm not sure.

If you are not on Windows, then any product that can take a binary file as   input for a particular column and stick it into the database should do you   nicely. Again, I don't know any particulars.

Dave Colello
dcolello_at_oracle.com

The views expressed here are my own and not my employer's. Received on Fri Feb 11 1994 - 01:14:59 CET

Original text of this message