Re: Help - trouble using Oracle under Windows

From: Carsten Kristensen <ckr_at_ocsbrg.no>
Date: 10 Feb 1994 15:59:48 -0800

holowcza_at_pegasus.rutgers.edu (Richard Holowczak) writes:

>ghollid_at_relay.nswc.navy.mil (Glen Holliday) writes:

>> We're trying to make Oracle communicate with SPSS under Windows.
>>Our ultimate aim is for SPSS to manipulate the info in the Oracle
>>db, and we're hoping to package it in a SQL*Menu user front-end.
>> There are a number of hints in the docs that say it should be
>>straightforward. But we're having big trouble even getting Oracle
>>to run standalone under Windows.

> This should be in the FAQ. I've answered this question about 100
> times. :)

> Here it goes again:

> Under MS-DOS, Oracle uses its own memory manager called SQLPME to
> make use of extended memory. The PME stands for Protected Mode
> Executive indicating that it switches you PC's CPU into protected
> mode to access extended memory (that is memory above 1 Mb).

[ .. stuff deleted .. ]

> Other hints are to get rid of EMM386.EXE and SMARTDRV.EXE
> if you are using them. SMARTDRV can be used but unless
> you know what you're doing, you can corrupt the database.

We had a problem running v 6.0.36 standalone on a PC - corrupt database. According to Oracle Support, the problem was SMARTDRV. They told us not to use it. Which of course increases response time. Are you saying that we CAN use it ?? If so, I would be very interested to hear what kind of setup - smartdrv params etc.

--
* Carsten Kristensen		      E-mail: ckr_at_ocsbrg.no 	*
* Offshore Computer Services AS       Tel   : +47 55 99 88 70	*