Re: Help on Unix vs NT as DB Server OS

From: Bernhard Strassl <bernhard_at_trick.ani.univie.ac.at>
Date: 10 Feb 1994 16:34:17 GMT

After 7 years of expierience with programming and maintaining Miscrosoft Products (DOS/Windows) _AND_ Unix Systems I want to give you an example:

Since 1988 I wrote a lot of small programs in both environments, beginning with DOS3.0+Windows1.0 on a 8086 PC, and Aegis9.6+BSD4.1(2?)+X11R3 on an Apollo DN3000.

Today I can compile and run the Unix programs of 1988 on all our SUN-SPARCs, HP-Snakes(9K720) and SGI-Indys. I made some minor changes over the years and some #ifdefs for the different Unix-flavors, but they are too small to mention.

On the other hand, guess what I can do with the MS code under NT....

Ok, Windows NT has a very modern kernel, many people state that it is far beyond any Unix kernel (I don't want judge this :-). But overall NT seems to me as a subset of today's Unix, and I'm sure that one feature, enhancement, compatibility product etc. after the other will be added during the next 7 years - bringing the need for permanent buying, re-installing, re-configuring and solving the resulting problems (it's not only my own expierience that MS's one-month/two-new-releases policy often causes a lot of troubles).

I can't imagine that MS's operating systems will be completely different in the future.

-bernhard

(This are my opinions, NOT an official statement of the VUIG)

The Xm++ / CommonInteract Project
Vienna User Interface Group
Bernhard Strassl              University of Vienna
xmplus_at_ani.univie.ac.at       Dpt. for Applied Computer Science
                              and Information Systems