Re: GIS systems with Oracle

From: Andrew Groom <andrew_at_ccc.govt.nz>
Date: 10 Feb 94 10:24:41 NZDT

In article <CKtA01.Et9_at_uk.ac.brookes>, p0070621_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk (Tommy Wareing) writes:
> Hi. We are hoping to replace our existing GIS system with a new one
> which will work with our corporate Oracle database.

As far as I know, You have a couple of options:

  1. Microstation and MGE from Intergraph Corporation
  2. MapInfo + ODBC

Microstation is a top-of-the-line CAD tool that has database extensions. As of version 5.0 ( the latest release ), it uses something called RIS ( Relational Interface Server ) that allows it to connect to Oracle, DEC Rdb, Sybase, Ingres, Informix + others. You can get various add-ons for GIS-type operations like terrain modelling, etc. It runs on Intel/DOS, Intel/NT, Mac, SunOS and HP's. It costs around $US3000 ( I think ).

It also has 3D functionality, with an impressive set of rendering tools, including texture maps, shading, hidden line removal, transparent objects. The only rendering tool it doesn't have is ray tracing, but third-party tools can provide that.

Pro's:	*Excellent* CAD tool ( as I say, *top* of the line )
	Database independence
	Good application development environment
	Intergraph is big, good support
	Good with *large* data sets

Con's:	Long, steep learning curve
	GIS operations don't come easy ( or cheap )
	Expensive

For building management-type operations, it's probably just what you want.

There are several toll-free numbers into Intergraph. The following numbers may be of interest:

   800-345-4856 -- General Information (toll-free U.S.)    800-633-7248 -- Customer Support (toll-free U.S.)

MapInfo is a Windows, Mac and UNIX based GIS tool that costs around $US1500 and comes with a lot of spatial analysis tools built in. Graphical manipulation tools are limited, but it is very user-friendly and provides for most GIS analysis needs with small to medium datasets.

You can connect to Oracle with an add-on call SQLDataLink. It uses ODBC to connect to anything that supports ODBC, e.g., Oracle. It costs around $US900.

Pros:	Easy to use
	Relatively cheap
	Good GIS/Mapping functionality

Cons:	*Not* a CAD tool

The choice comes down to horses-for-courses. Microstation is primarily a CAD/drafting/design tool at the high end of the scale, whereas MapInfo is a user-friendly GIS/mapping/analysis tool at the lower end of the scale. The choice is yours.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Andrew

PS.	Check *all* the prices. They are my rough conversion from NZ
	list-price dollars.

Andrew Groom                 Phone:	(03) 3711 862
GIS Business analyst, MIS    Fax:	(03) 3711 789
Christchurch City Council    Email:	andrew_at_ccc.govt.nz
P.O. Box 237, Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND