Re: Is Forms 4.0 stable?

From: Science Applications International Corp <saichelp_at_sugar.NeoSoft.COM>
Date: 8 Feb 1994 10:16:46 -0600

I have worked with sql*forms starting with a little of version 2, very little thank heavens. The product is fantastic, but there are some major issues that oracle needs to deal with in forms 4.0. Two of which oracle/time will take care of.

Bugs, the version of forms 4.0 sitting on my computer is very buggy, crashes in very unpleasent ways. With time however, Oracle will get the bugs out.

Performance/Resource hog, what did you expect from Oracle, they operate off the quantum leap forward release process(tm) Forms 4.0 has flexability that most developers haven't even dreamed of needing, but by todays standards it does require some serious hardware, in the environment I'm working in (NASA) the end users (all 600 of them) are going to have 386 33's with 4 meg. Don't tell me you out perform the competition on these platforms, I'm evaluating several front ends and it is not a true statement. Granted I haven't evalueated the .12 release. In the long run Oracles performance/resource probelms will go away (for a while) because it will take Oracle a while to release forms 5 and forms 4 is advanced enough to compete for a while and hardware/memory continues to deliver more power for the same amount of money.

The other problem I don't see oracle addressing is the need to produce either a self standing executable or a royalty free runtime environment, and I don't see Oracle doing that soon.

                               Craig
--

Marty Detwiler