Re: SQL$Forms Commit Procedure

From: Steve Corbett <p0070623_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 3 Feb 1994 04:55:26 -0600

ditommm_at_aa.wl.com wrote:

: I have a form (SQL*Forms 3.0 on VAX/VMS) which makes changes to tables directly
: through PL/SQL procedures that contain INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE statements.
: Sometimes these changes are the only changes made during the current session.
: If the user COMMIT's the error message '40401 - no changes to commit' appears.
: Is there any way to let SQL*FORMS know that thre really is something to commit
: - perhaps by changing FORM_STATUS directly? If I do the COMMIT in a user exit
: then the records are locked until the user exits SQL*Forms, since I cannot
: RELEASE without disconnecting from the database.

You can do 'commit' yourself in the Pl/sql.

-and/or-

To suppress the 40401 error message rewrite the KEY-COMMIT to say
:SYSTEM.MESSAGE_LEVEL := 5; -- suppress message
 COMMIT;
:SYSTEM.MESSAGE_LEVEL := 0;
I don't like setting columns equal to tmeselves to force a commit unless i have to, because then the user can get 'do you wish to commit the changes?' when they think they have made none.

--
Steve Corbett.                        vvv
                                     [. .]