Locks; Finding locked object in ORACLE7

From: Hans Bergsten <hans_at_ebu.ericsson.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 23:01:34 GMT

Hi guys,

I am running ORACLE 7.0.15 on a SunOS 4.1.x platform.

I have scanned through all ORACLE7 DBA manuals in search for a way to figure out what object a lock actually locks, but with no success.

I can easily find the locks held by a user, e.g. via MONITOR LOCK in SQL*DBA or via the V$LOCK table. But as far as I can see, there is no way to see what TABLE the lock belongs to? The Resource ID1 and ID2 fields seems to be referring to the lock itself, not to the locked OBJECT. Also, the manuals claim ORACLE never, ever, locks a whole TABLE (only ROW's) implicitly at INSERT, DELETE or UPDATE. But I have experienced scenarious where there seems to be an exclusive TABLE lock set anyway. One thing I have noticed is that the ROW_LOCKING parameter is set to the value "default" instead of "ALWAYS" as the manual claims it should be. Am I on the right track? Any ideas of what could cause the perception of a TABLE lock other than an actual TABLE lock?
/Hans

---
Hans Bergsten                 	   Internet : ebuhob_at_ebu.ericsson.se
Ericsson Business Communications   MEMO     : VAX.EBUHOB..EBU.ERICSSON.SE..INET
5757 Plaza Drive                   Voice    : +1 (714) 236-6784
Cypress, CA 90630-0007, USA        FAX      : +1 (714) 236-6039