Re: Is Forms 4.0 stable?

From: Dennis Moore <dbmoore_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 21:14:59 GMT

In article <2ioq39$b2l_at_news.delphi.com> washide_at_news.delphi.com (WASHIDE_at_DELPHI.COM) writes:
>Hi there!
>
>We've currently got some apps running under Forms 3.0 and would like to
>migrate to Version 4.0. During training for some new V3 users here,
>the instructor commented that 4.0 is still full of bugs and Oracle has no
>real intent to keep 4.0 a viable GUI product due to the fact that there
>are so many other products out there (for example, Powerbuilder). The
>instructor wasn't from Oracle.
>
>Of course our Oracle sales rep says that they're behind it all the way and
>lots of money is being poured into it.
>
>What kind of experience have other people had with Forms 4.0? Is it still
>unstable or what? Any info that you have would be appreciated?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Doug Washington
>Whirlpool Corporation
>WASHIDE_at_DELPHI.COM

This could not be further from the truth. Our commitment of development resources, internal training, and future development work on Forms has only increased each quarter. We have dozens of happy customers (and I'd be surprised if there weren't any not happy ;-) up in production TODAY with Forms 4 on MS-Windows, Motif, and Macintosh -- systems ranging from a small number of users up to 1500 (yes, that's ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED -- 1000 simultaneously!) users.

We have done both performance and productivity testing of Forms 4, and have found that we have achieved far better results than our competitors -- and we are constantly working to improve even on those results. We have new releases of Forms planned and spec'ed out and in development -- those millions of end-users (approximately two million end-users are running Forms applications) and their organizations who have invested so much in the success of Oracle Forms will not be disappointed with our status and directions. Please feel free to contact me if you'd care to discuss your own experiences with Forms or any other CDE product.

In summary, we are having great success with our new CDE products, including Oracle Forms 4.0. The newest release, 4.0.12, is now shipping on many platforms. We are completely committed to continually improving the product, and we expect it to have a long, productive lifespan. Reports of Forms' death are greatly exaggerated.

  • Dennis Moore, my own opinions, etcetcetc