Re: Problems installing Oracle Tools for DOS V6.0a on to File Server

From: Joel K. Gallun <joel.gal_at_jntsea.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 1994 11:47:30

In article <1994Jan28.030547.23501_at_cerberus.bhpese.oz.au> bigbod_at_cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (Rodney Coleman) writes:
>From: bigbod_at_cerberus.bhpese.oz.au (Rodney Coleman)
>Subject: Problems installing Oracle Tools for DOS V6.0a on to File Server
>Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 03:05:47 GMT

> Hi! I am having some problems installing Oracle Tools for DOS V6.0a.
> Basically the problem is as follows:

> (1) I installed the Oracle 7 Server on a Novell File Server
> (under directory o:\oranw). This was done using the V3
> installer that came with the server.

> (2) I installed the DOS products that came with the server
> package (sql*dba, imp, exp, sql*net, sql*loader) on to
> the Novell File Server (under directory o:\orados). This
> was also done using the V3 installer that came with the
> server. No problems so far.

> (3) Now I attempt to install the various Oracle Tools for DOS
> on to the Novell File Server using the V3 installer that
> came with the server package. Now this is legal as long
> as the DOS install utilities that come with the server have
> been installed (according to the Oracle Installer Technology
> Guide For DOS booklet that comes with the Oracle 7 Server).

> Each Oracle Tool I try to install says that I must install
> the "Required Support Files 6.0.36.1.0" product first. The
> problem is that I have already done this, and it is listed
> by the V3 installer as an installed product (BTW, Required
> Support Files 7.0.15.0.0 are also installed !)

> Has anyone else experienced this problem, or have I just done
> something silly during the installation ?? I have contacted
> Oracle Support (Australia) about this, but I don't think they
> have an answer to the problem.

> Any comments, suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

I had the exact same problem. ORACLE SUPPORT WAS NO HELP WHATSOEVER. Yes, I mean to yell. What I ended up doing was installing the Oracle 6 tools into a different directory tree.

All in all, I found the oracle tools installation to be the most f*-up piece of s* ever put out by a major PC software vendor.

>--
> Everytime I open the door, | Rodney Coleman, Analyst Programmer
> its the same DAMN thing...... | BHP Information Technology
> That bitch bends over, | Newcastle, Australia.
> and I forget my name !! (Gene Simmons) | (bigbod_at_liberator.bhpese.oz.au)

Joel Gallun                Internet: joel.gal_at_jntsea.gsfc.nasa.gov
Info. Sys. Manager              FAX: (301) 805-4538
Jackson & Tull Aerospace Eng. Voice: (301) 805-4545, x603
#include <std_disclaimer>     Snail: 7375 Executive Pl. Seabrook Md 20706