Re: Attributes Names Standards

From: Dagmar A. Bogan <dagmar_at_indian.mitre.org>
Date: 31 Jan 1994 20:03:18 GMT

I did a paper on this last year. If you look at the engineering world, there are two methods for naming parts: significant and non-significant. A significant part number is composed of descriptors to self-describe the part; for example: NAIL_5PENNY_CASE_HARDENED. A non-significant part number has no meaning; its simply a random value assigned a meaning; for example: ABC123 means a 5penny case hardened nail. I consider part naming to be analogous with naming columns.

Here are the problems with signficant part names (and column names):

  1. In real-life the length of the name becomes unnaturally large and difficult to use. Most experts agree short-term memory can accomodate seven digits at a time....significant part numbers averaged 30 characters in length (how long are your column names???!!!)
  2. What happens if the attribute changes, then every instance where the number or value appears must be altered. If some attribute changes, i.e., now I purchase two types of nails, I have to change my column name to NAIL_5PENNY_CASE_HARDENED_STEEL or NAIL_5PENNY_CASE_HARDENED_ALLOY. Another option is to use suffixes or prefixes, and this moves away from the original concept...having the part number describe the part.
  3. It becomes difficult to ensure uniqueness...the way to ensure this is to continually add attributes to the name, but this increases the length (see 1).
  4. In actuality, there is a finite number of names/attributes/codes that can be handled and understood.

The name is not important...what is important is the understanding of the name, and a good data dictionary and repository can take care of that problem.

Dagmar

The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The MITRE Corporation.

Dagmar Anne Bogan                     *
Software Engineering Center           *
The MITRE Corporation                 * phone: 703.883.6093
M/S Z676                              * fax:   703.883.6991
7525 Colshire Drive                   * email: dagmar_at_indian.mitre.org
McLean, Virginia  22102-3481          *