Re: query detail records in Oracle forms 3

From: Mike Dickson <mdickson_at_halcyon.com>
Date: 29 Jan 1994 20:40:13 GMT

In article <19165_at_dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> Selina Glynn, selina_at_dciem.dnd.ca writes:
>The default oracle forms does not allow parameters be entered on the
 detail
>block. I would like to be allow users to enter values in the detail
 block
>to retrieve only the records that are of interest to the users. I am
 sure
>other people had done this. Any help or pointers will be appreciated.

Depends on what you mean by entering values into the detail block. If you mean entering values into a detail block ONLY, you can use an pre_query macro that basically retrieves the primary key for the matching detail records, then builds a statement in the foreign key field in the master
block something like this #in (detail key1, detail key2, detail key 3), then
executes a query on the master block. I did this while back, and I don't remember the exact syntax of the triggers (This being Saturday, I don't have
access to the machine with the forms on it.) If you wish, I can get the inp
file of an example form

If, however, you mean enter parameter values for both the master and detail
block, well, that's another story. SQL*Forms 3.0 doesn't allow you to travel
between blocks when enetering query values. The only way around this limitation
I've used is to define a view which is the join between the master and detail
tables, and query the view.

Mike Dickson                            | mdickson_at_halycon.com
Dir, Information Systems                | (512)459-1000 voice
Lutheran Social Services                |
408 W 45th                              | "When the going gets weird,
Austin, Texas  USA  78751               |  the weird turn pro"