Re: Are Universities using Oracle?

From: Jon Finke <finkej_at_ts.its.rpi.edu>
Date: 29 Jan 1994 01:57:23 GMT

In article <mkeable.6.00099080_at_cti.ulaval.ca>, Michel Keable <mkeable_at_cti.ulaval.ca> wrote:
>We have been using Oracle for about 18 months for pilot projects to evaluate
>if it should become our major RDBMS. Technically we found no major problem
>but before the orientation becomes an official one, the University
>administration wants to know which universities are actually using Oracle
>RDBMS other than for teaching or research.

RPI has several Oracle databases. The biggest, running on a fat RS/6000, is running our financial management system, as well has human resources. In theory, each department or unit has one or two people who can access this system to check on purchase orders, budgets, etc. I am not sure how many users this system has.

The system I maintain, is used to manage our campus computing system (500 unix machines). It automatically creates and destroys Unix accounts (every student and faculty member gets an account), printer configuration, /etc/group, disk billing, email aliases and some other assorted function. This system has about 10 direct users (sys admin and business office types), but every userid can access it for different status information, etc. We also are using it to collect and process usage information on our workstation labs. (There are around 10,000 userids in the system.)

--
Jon Finke                              finkej_at_rpi.edu
Senior Network Systems Engineer        USERB239_at_RPITSMTS.BITNET