A boolean data type?

From: Scott Huddle <scott.huddle_at_vt.edu>
Date: 26 Jan 1994 15:57:16 GMT

I have a table that current contains a variable that can be one of two states
(True/False, or Yes/No). Queries of the table may branch depending on the state of the variable, and also may not (the user may not care about the state).

What is the best way to model a boolean data type from within Oracle? The two
obvious ways seem to be either

        o Split the data into two tables. Which means joining the tables for queries
where I need data from both, and distinguishing the two in normal queries.

        o Keep the variable in the table and declare it as some type.

That type could be character based ("Yes", "No"), or numeric (0, 1).

I guess what I'd really like to do is treat the variable like in C, where I could
then write a query like this:

        select from Table where State

or

        select from Table where not State

Anyway to do that?

thanks

-scott

Scott Huddle
Programmer/Analyst
Dept. of Entomology, Va Tech Received on Wed Jan 26 1994 - 16:57:16 CET

Original text of this message