Reportwriter 2.0 problem

From: Torsten Fassian <fassian_at_crpht.lu>
Date: 26 Jan 1994 07:27:00 GMT

Hi everbody,

We have a Forms4.0 application which allows to enter some data and then generate a report containing this data. This report must be sent to the client by mail (not the electronic one!) and therefore we want to print a mailing label too (from the same application). The application runs on windows. Both, the report and the label are generated using Reportwriter 2.0.

The problem:
We are using different printers (via Novell) for the report and the label but windows can only have one default printer. Reportwriter uses this default printer and does apparently not allow to assign a specific printer to a report. Thus, I don't know how to print a report and a mailing label from the same Forms application to 2 different printers using 2 Reportwriter reports.

A possible solution (?!?):
Write a user exit which changes the default printer of windows. This user exit will be called in the Forms application before running the reports.

Questions:
Is this a feasable approach? Has anyone done this? If yes, could you mail me the user exit which does the printer switch? Can anyone think of another way to solve this problem?

Regards,

Torsten Received on Wed Jan 26 1994 - 08:27:00 CET

Original text of this message