Re: Are Universities using Oracle?

From: Jack Love <jlove_at_ivrit.ra.itd.umich.edu>
Date: 26 Jan 1994 22:33:16 GMT

In article <mkeable.6.00099080_at_cti.ulaval.ca>, Michel Keable <mkeable_at_cti.ulaval.ca> wrote:
>We have been using Oracle for about 18 months for pilot projects to evaluate
>if it should become our major RDBMS. Technically we found no major problem
>but before the orientation becomes an official one, the University
>administration wants to know which universities are actually using Oracle
>RDBMS other than for teaching or research.

Oracle is used extensively at many universities. At the Univ of Michigan (where I am employed), Oracle is used in administrative computing to create easily accessible data from large IMS databases. It is used by the medical school, dental school and the hospital. The Institute for Social Research uses Oracle for course registration and automated academic research distribution. The Business School provides many if not most of its administrative applications via Oracle.

At Oracle's IOUW I have met personnel from (among others) Georgia Tech, Univ of W. Virginia, San Francisco State, Oberlin and Univ of Calif - Davis. There used to be a "higher ed" Oracle user group, but that has become sort of defunct primarily because most "higher ed" people are just interested in the same topics as any other Oracle users.

Jack F. Love	| 	Opinions expressed are mine alone.