Re: Pro*C & GNU C: _cg92 in sqlnet.a

From: Magnus Lonnroth <mloennro_at_se.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 1994 13:51:48 GMT

  Jeff> We are running Oracle 7.0.13 under Solaris 2.2 and are trying
  Jeff> to compile Pro*C programs with GNU C 2.5.6.  We get some odd
  Jeff> ld warnings about 10 of the libraries, then it fails with an
  Jeff> error that says that the symbol __cg92 is not found and it is
  Jeff> first referred to in sqlnet.a.  We've got LD_LIBRARY_PATH set
  Jeff> to point to every known library location and we're using the
  Jeff> standard Oracle makefile as a template makefile.  What's this
  Jeff> thing doing and why doesn't it work?  Is it GNU related, or
  Jeff> should I dig deeper into Oracle?  Is it required stuff?  Its
  Jeff> first in the ld line for libraries.

  Jeff> Thanks, -Jeff. :)

  Jeff> -- Jeff Kopmanis (Ann Arbor, Michigan) | email: jeffk_at_msen.com
  Jeff> Organizer of the Linux Software Map (LSM) | phone: (313)
  Jeff> 393-4784 (work) "So shines a good deed in a weary world."
  Jeff> -Willy Wonka

  Magnus> This is not GNU related. It's ld related.  This is known as
  Magnus> bug 182244. There is an error in the makefile (proc.mk).
  Magnus> There is also a patch available (a new makefile). The error
  Magnus> occurs when trying to (re-)link just about anything on a box
  Magnus> with SPARC architecure (cg92 is SPARC V8, cg89 is
  Magnus> SPARC). Please call Oracle customer support to get this
  Magnus> patch. Note: this patch is only need for cg89-machines, e.g.   Magnus> without the 1 MB on-board super-cache. --

Sorry, this is *also* GNU gcc related. The Sun SPARC compiler is a software requirement for writing Pro*C programs, because our libraries (libsql.a, libocic.a, etc) are looking for stuff in /opt/SUNWspro. You might be able to hack around this, but I wouldn't recommend it.

--

Magnus Lonnroth
Tech.Sales & Consultant