Problems with Report Writer 2.0 beta (HPUX)

From: Jouni Mikkonen <jomikkon_at_tre.tele.nokia.fi>
Date: 21 Jan 94 15:36:14

(Sorry, if this gets posted twice...problems with the news program.)

First thanks for the answers concerning the use of lexical variables in the Report Writer. They helped a lot. Now back to current problems.

We are currently evaluating the Oracle Report Writer 2.0 beta version and the platform is HP-UX Unix with Motif.

Now we have encountered couple of the problems.

  1. Printing doesn't work. Every time I try to print something ORW crashes and says "bus error". I've tried almost every combination of the DESTYPE=printer, DESFORMAT=hpl, and DESNAME=<ourprintername>. I would imagine that these could be set in some environment variables as well as parameters from the command line. At least it would be a lot easier way to do it...
  2. Global properties file is always missing as ORW is started? Where and how do I need to specify that Global properties file that ORW finds it. I've tried to set values directly from the GUI, but these values obviously have no effect, since ORW cannot find the global properties file.
  3. This has to do with the first point. As well as I haven't been able to print into printer, I haven't been able to print into file. I would like to know, is it possible to print retrieved data into file as ascii and/or as postscript?

   If I understood the manual correctly, it says that the file output    is postscript format in the bitmapped version of ORW. I would    really like to get ascii as well into file. Is this possible?

  • J o u n i -
Name  : Jouni Mikkonen 		    /  To summarize the summary
Email : jomikkon_at_tre.tele.nokia.fi /   of summarirum :
Tel   : 358 (31) 2407 667         /    People are the problem.