Re: Pro*C or OCI for interactive query ?

From: L Boyd <gnat_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 21 Jan 1994 19:07:46 GMT

ryanpa_at_cs.aston.ac.uk (Paul A Ryan) writes:

>Hello,

>I am starting to develop an ORACLE 7 front-end application which will allow the user
>to perform ORACLE queries on their own tables through a graphical user interface
>(OPENLOOK).
>From what I can gather, OCI is the interface I want as the SQL needs to be known at
>compile-time for Pro*C but my application won't know what the user will ask for until
>run-time.

>I'm just looking for a little re-assurance that I'm on the right track - all this
>talk of Pro*C has got me worried !

>Cheers,
>Paul

I don't think there is any question that OCI is the way to go. I have used both and find Pro*C akward to use (now, mind you, I am using an oop) and errors are difficult to track down.

With OCI, you can take a string, parse it and then submit it with much greater ease.

Lauren

Lauren "Lives With Cats" Boyd			Department of Otolaryngology
Systems Analyst/Programmer			University of Washington, RL-30
lauren_at_oto.washington.edu			Seattle, Washington  98195