Re: Client Server - Long Query Times

From: Kevin Neel <k-neel_at_nwu.edu>
Date: 18 Jan 1994 21:22:03 GMT

In article <2hhbup$kto_at_crl.crl.com> Robert J. McCallister, rjmac_at_crl.com writes:
>We are running Forms 3.0 against Version 6.0 database. When we do a
>query on one of our larger forms on the server(MIPS system) the query
>takes app 5 -10 seconds. When we run the same query on a client pc
>(386DX-40 processor) the same query takes 30 - 40 seconds.

Well, there are any number of things that could be going on here. By the nature of your question (i.e. client-server), I

  1. You are still running the application on the PC, but are running the RDBMS only on the server
  2. You don the problem

Given those two conditions, your main goal should be to reduce the number of roundtrips taken -- e.g. the number of statements you have to send and the number of operations (PREPARE, OPEN, FETCH) you have to execute for each statement.

Some ways of achieving that:

  Combine several SELECT statements into one (i.e. join to many tables)   Use arrays for fetching, inserting, updating whenever possible (hard in PL/SQL 1.0; can be done in Pro*C user exits) Received on Tue Jan 18 1994 - 22:22:03 CET

Original text of this message