Re: Multiple instances of Oracle?

From: Simon Stearn BT group <sjs_at_metagen.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 94 14:05:57 GMT

In article <CJKyD2.3ur_at_c3177208.ssr.hp.com>, bill_at_c3177208.ssr.hp.com (Bill Chidester) writes:

|> This is a relay of a question posted for a friend -- please excuse any
|> obtuseness; it's a result of my translation...
|>
|> Is it possible to run multiple instances of Oracle (6.0) on the same
|> machine? It's possible to open multiple databases with one instance
|> of Oracle, but sometimes it is desirable to have one copy of the Oracle
|> environment (with attendant pointers and buffers, etc) running while
|> opening another database with another environment to avoid memory
|> bottlenecking on the primary operation. After sampling two people
|> knowledgeable in Oracle, I have two answers. Person A: "Nope, can't do
|> it. Impossible!" and Person B: "Yep, I've done it. Person A is
|> obviously having some trouble with things he ingested back in the
|> early '70's".
|>
|> Should belief be based on experience or psychodelics?

|> Bill Chidester
|> bill_at_hpuorfl.ssr.hp.com (Beware of the autoreply!)

depends on the operating system. Under unix, you can create multiple instances by changing the value of the environment variable ORACLE_SID. You subsequently connect to these instances by setting ORACLE_SID appropriately. Under dos you are in trouble...

Belief systems should probably be based on experience of the psychodelic.

Hope this helps

Simon
(Just my opinion, thats all...) Received on Mon Jan 17 1994 - 15:05:57 CET

Original text of this message