Oracle SQL*Net & tcp keep alive

From: The Administrator <gerrit_at_vtm.be>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 1994 13:01:35 GMT

On our system we have encountered some problems with SQL*Net daemon processes on the run !

Yesterday a user crashed his client twice and his daemon process wouldn't stop. In fact they started using a lot of CPU resources (almost 95% of the CPU was busy for user processes and when I killed them both it dropped to less than 3%). A "ps -ef" today around 11:00 shows that both processes used more than 500 minutes of CPU time. The processes started yesterday at 17:53 and 17:57. Which means that both processes have kept the CPU busy for almost 100%.

I called Oracle about this problem and they told me it was due to TCP/IP which did not signal the SQL*Net that a client had disconnected or that a signal was given but it was catched. (=> so what he said was : it's not an Oracle problem but a unix problem. We are trying to find a way around this problem with sqlnet version 2...)

As a bonus : because of the processes still running -> dbshut didn't work properly -> the backup script failed ! (ARGH!!!!!)

Anybody having the same problem ? And even better : anybody knowing a solution ????

Gerrit

--
Gerrit Cap
Vlaamse Televisie Maatschappij N.V.		e-mail :   gerrit_at_vtm.be