Re: Multiple instances of Oracle?

From: George Oliver <oliver_at_io.nosc.mil>
Date: 13 Jan 1994 18:20:33 GMT

Bill Chidester (bill_at_c3177208.ssr.hp.com) wrote:

: This is a relay of a question posted for a friend -- please excuse any
: obtuseness; it's a result of my translation...

: Is it possible to run multiple instances of Oracle (6.0) on the same
: machine? It's possible to open multiple databases with one instance
: of Oracle, but sometimes it is desirable to have one copy of the Oracle
: environment (with attendant pointers and buffers, etc) running while
: opening another database with another environment to avoid memory
: bottlenecking on the primary operation. After sampling two people
: knowledgeable in Oracle, I have two answers. Person A: "Nope, can't do
: it. Impossible!" and Person B: "Yep, I've done it. Person A is
: obviously having some trouble with things he ingested back in the
: early '70's".

: Should belief be based on experience or psychodelics?

On most platforms: yes. Don't know whether you can do it on a Mac or Dos. I've done it on VMS and UNIX platforms.

Geo.

George Oliver
NRaD, Code 4221
oliver_at_nosc.mil Received on Thu Jan 13 1994 - 19:20:33 CET

Original text of this message