Re: Using Visual Basic and ODBC to access Oracle?

From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 23:36:26 GMT

In article <1994Jan12.105506_at_dallas.tymnet.bt.co.uk> dwatts_at_tymnet.bt.co.uk writes:
>I am currently involved in the developement of a client/server system.
>I'm interested in getting any ideas or 'things to avoid doing' from
>anyone who has related experience...
>
>The architecture of the solution is:
>________________
>| PC Client |
>|(Visual Basic)|
>|--------------| _______________
>| MS ODBC | | |
>|--------------| | Oracle 7 |
>| SQL*Net | | (unix) |
>---------------- ---------------
> |_____________________________________|
>
>(This architecture has largely been determined by the existing
> environment into which this app. must fit. The 'Net bandwidth:
> X-server vs PC client/server' debate has raised a few questions...)
>
>However, my main questions are:
>
>- To 'talk' to Oracle from VB would you recommend using the 'VB
> methods' (Oracle ODBC), or would you embed SQL.

   Embedded SQL or OCI would eliminate the sloooow ODBC layer so that    would be desirable if performance is a consideration.

>- Is there any documentation for the Oracle ODBC driver? The MS
> documentation is a little sketchy in this area.... I'd like to
> know what features of Oracle it can (and can't) support etc...
>
>- Does the ODBC driver support Oracle 7?

   There is no such thing as "the Oracle ODBC driver". The one currently    shipping with Access is developed by Page Ahead. It does not take advantage    of Oracle 7 features and has poor performance. Oracle corp itself is    probably going to release an ODBC driver to address these shortcomings.

>- Are there any particular performance issues to be aware of?

   See above.

>- Are there any books/references anyone can recommend in this field?
>
>- Finally any other hints and suggestions? [other than don't do it :-)]
>
>thanks,

You are welcome

shiraz
(My own opinions, etc, etc)

--
Shiraz Kanga (skanga_at_oracle.com) Tel: (415)506-5412 Fax: (415)506-7822
Analyst -- Desktop Netware Group - Worldwide Technical Support - 3OP11