SUMMARY - Oracle-MD (multi-dimensional) information request

From: Jonathon Tidswell <jont_at_hsa.com.au>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 1994 23:37:29 GMT

I apologise for the tardiness of this posting.

I posted a query on Oracle-MD and had a number of requests for information.

% I am looking for comments on the availability, reliability and effectiveness
% of the Oracle-MD (multidimensional support) product/package.
% Particularly in its support for large volumes of point data.

% I have heard rumours of the form "its nice" and I have a 12 month old report % basically saying "its not up to scratch, and I dont know when it will be".

% Any comments from Oracle itself or people with more current information % would be greatly appreciated.

% Theoretical comments on its design and potential or existing alternatives % would also be appreciated.

% [ I will post a summary if sufficient interest is shown. ]

Here follows a summary:

From ___ ________ (Oracle) [ paraphrased ]

| Before we continue, here's a nice little NDA.

Anonymous (by request) [ paraphrased ]

|MD 1.0 is useful for point data but that it is not yet well integrated with
|the rest of "the product".
|You almost have to use a separate query interface as using SQL requires extra
|hoop jumping.
|In another year (or longer if they stuff around) they should have a good
|product integrated with the sql engine.

Larry Stein (ASK Group Consulting) [ lstein_at_ingres.com ]

|Ask (no pun intended) your local ASK Group (INGRES) sales rep about
|the availability of the GIS extensions from ESL in the US. Heard
|something about it a year ago. Don't know general availability.
|It is a set of datatypes and methods for GIS-related usage,
|all completely available within SQL.
| datatypes: point, line, polygon, etc.
| methods: in, intersects, etc.
|
|Based on the INGRES/Object Management Extension, which I have used with
|clients for several years. Works for me, your mileage may vary.
|
|As for "large volumes", the database itself has no practical limits
|for tables size, although tuple width must live within the usual INGRES
|strucutres.

D. Coleman (University of New Brunswick) [ dcoleman_at_unb.ca ]

|Contact Jim Rawlings, Oracle's VP at
|
|Research and Development Centre,
|Oracle Corporation Canada Ltd.,
|975 St. Joseph Blvd., Suite 228,
|Hull, Quebec CANADA J8Z 1W8
|
|Tel. 0011-1-819-772-0595
|Fax. 0011-1-819-772-2830

Michael Marchand (Facet Decisions Systems) [ marchand_at_cuug.ab.ca ]

|=======================================
|I am not up to date on the current status, though
|a recent document suggests that it will be available
|commercially in early 94 and that a module called
|'infinity' is for Very Large Spatial Data Bases.

|As you know the Cdn Hydrographic Survey ( Neil Anderson)
|is the behind the project as a test site and with $$.
|
|I only know of one other similar project, supposedly a
|joint effort by Ingres & Locheed or Martin Marietta
|but have heard nothing recently.
|
|Its potential is "fantastic" if it does what it is supposed to do.
|I did see a rough pre-product 'proof of concept' demo and was
|favourably impressed. The theory behind the key technology
|is a spatial code that allows spatial operations to be carried out inside
|the database kernal; this spatial index is only a single field....

Jean Anderson (SAIC Open Systems Division) [ jean_at_gso.saic.com ]

From: <jwsmith_at_io.org>

|I'm afraid I can't answer your question. However, you might get some good
|results -- both from users and Oracle -- if you post it on the Oracle forum in
|CompuServe. Do you have access to an account? If not, do you know someone
|who could post it for you? You could ask people to e-mail your 'net address
|which is quite possible from CompuServe.

---
Jonathon Earnshaw Tidswell            | Telephone:  +61 2 957 3549
Hydrographic Sciences Australia P/L   | Facsimile:  +61 2 959 3594
PO Box 85 Cammeray NSW Australia 2062 | E-mail:     jont_at_hsa.com.au
--
Jonathon Earnshaw Tidswell            | Telephone:  +61 2 957 3549
Hydrographic Sciences Australia P/L   | Facsimile:  +61 2 959 3594
PO Box 85 Cammeray NSW Australia 2062 | E-mail:     jont_at_hsa.com.au
Disclaimer: I think my thoughts are my own, and I believe my writings are too.