Oracle ReportWriter terminal file

From: Tommy Wareing <p0070621_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 12 Jan 1994 12:01:22 -0600

I'm trying to write a terminal definition file for Oracle's ReportWriter. Basically, this looks very like a termcap entry, but helpfully :(, some of the function names have been changed.

I'm trying to use this on a WYSE 120+, emulating a vt220. So, I took the vt220 definition from our termcap file, changed the appropriate bits, and TOOK OUT THE TIMING DELAYS, and ran it.

Mostly, the result is fine.

But ReportWriter is capable of sending the output to screen, in which case it operates in a window mode: the terminals show an 80x25 rectangle from a virtual 132x66 (or whatever) sheet of paper, and scrolling around is done using the cursor keys.

The problem occurs when I hold down the right cursor key for a few seconds: initially, the display is fine, and moves left. But then it starts going wrong: some lines don't move left, some move but no new text appears at the right hand end, and eventually the terminal hangs.

I've checked the escape sequences being used: they're all listed in the WYSE manual. I've also tried the same thing on a TeleVideo 965 running as a vt100. That works fine. So does PC-NFS telnet (although it's slow at redrawing).

The only thing I can think of is that some of the escape sequences need to be padded to allow the terminal a chance to catch up. But what sequence(s) do I need to pad, and by how much?

The other alternative is I define the mysterious rr attribute: according to our ReportWriter manual rd, rl, rr and ru "scroll in a region of the display" (down, left, right and up respectively). The example given of this (for a vt100) is: ru=%oTBS\E[%i;%dr\E[%d;1f\EE\E[;r:
rd=%oTBS\E[%i;%dr\EM\E[;r:\
which seems to be defining a window on the screen (although our WYSE manual doesn't list the escape sequence \E[y;xr) and then moving the cursor down (to scroll the window up) or up. But what's this %oTBS stuff? And is this a valid sequence? And what's the equivalent for moving sideways?

Any help gratefully appreciated!
I'll summarise if it's worth it!

--
< Tommy Wareing X p0070621_at_brookes.ac.uk X 0865-483389 >