Rollback segments (Oracle 6)

From: Ernest Boswell <u4imcehb_at_apollo.wes.army.mil>
Date: 10 Jan 1994 22:36:40 GMT

Can someone shed some light on how Oracle 6 handles rollback segments. Our DBA (commonly known as Don't Bother to Ask) tells me that once a rollback segment is used, it isn't freed again until the database is shutdown and restarted. This doesn't make sense, but I seem to get a lot of "out of rollback space"-type errors. I'm working with a database about 300M in size, primary table having _at_800,000 rows. This is a scientific database (waterquality)  in the building process, so there are frequent database-wide updates. The rollback space is about 250 M, but I get rollback errors even when I'm operating against only a subset of the database. Any help/ideas/advice?

Thanks in advance,

Harry Boswell                       u4imcehb_at_apollo.wes.army.mil
Computer Scientist
Information Technology Laboratory
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

"select std_disclaimer from opinions_not_shared_by_employer" Received on Mon Jan 10 1994 - 23:36:40 CET

Original text of this message