Re: Oracle RecomendationSKIP

From: Carsten Kristensen <ckr_at_ocsbrg.no>
Date: 7 Jan 1994 15:07:33 -0800

pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au writes:

>In article <daren.757798643_at_morgan>, daren_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Daren Janes) writes:
>> We have a requirement to build a database with one
>> table having approximately 2 million rows. We will
>> have 35,000 new inserts a month with lots of indexes
>> on the table. The inserts will occur in chuncks of
>> 50-100 records at a time. The database will have very
>> little updating. There will be a maximum of 10 users
>> logged into the system at any given time doing query
>> type activity.

>Either Oracle release should handle this quite easily.

>> Should we go with Oracle 6 or 7?

>I would recommend going for the latest release available (soon V7.1) as
>Oracle will stop providing maintenance fixes for V6 soon.

>> What Unix platforms should we consider?

>Sorry, I'm on VAX/VMS. Somebody on a unix platform answer this one.

Hello! - this is where I jump in. We have been developing and using Oracle for 4-5 years now. Typical system size is about what you describe in the top of your article. We've used SCO Unix and are reasonably well satisfied.

I agree that the initial setup might take some time and effort. After that, you should'nt have to spend much time on it at all.

Good luck!

--
| Carsten Kristensen		| E-mail: ckr_at_ocsbrg.no 	|
| Offshore Computer Services AS | Tel   : +47 55 99 88 70	|