database evaluation reports

From: John Vasicek <jsv_at_tellabs.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 18:37:09 GMT

A while backed I posted a plea for help, looking for an independent evaluation of four Unix based rdbms packages. Namely, Ingres, Informix, Oracle and Sybase. I got some feedback, but it was mostly personnel opinions based their own experiences. I also got requests from several people to forward any relevant responses to them.

Well I never did receive anything worth forwarding. However, after months of searching, I MAY have found a source for "independent" database evaluations. The company and contact information is as follows.

						Alternative Technologies
						13150 Highway 9, Suite 123
						Boulder Creek, CA 95006
						phone 408-338-4621

Depending on the number of reports which you purchase the prices range from $400 - $500 dollars PER report.

The following disclaimers apply.

                I have no financial interest in this company.

		I personally have not ordered any of their reports so I can not speak
		as to the quality or objectiveness of these reports.

		I did receive a report, "An Evaluation of Database Server Architectures"
		as part of an Informix package.  Suprisingly enuf this report seemed
		to favor the architecture adopted by Informix.

Anyhow, I thought I would post this information if anyone is interested. If anyone does purchase any of these reports I would appreciate their feedback on the usefulness of said reports. By the way, we have decided to do a scaled down in house evaluation of the four rdbms products. We may augment our eval with the aforementioned reports.

						John Vasicek
						jsv_at_tellabs.com