Re: Client/Server Front-ends

From: David I. Laudicina <dil.admin_at_mhs.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 08:16:35

> Hi.

> My organization is preparing to develop a client/server application
> using Oracle v7 Server on a Sun as the database engine. We're in
> a bit of quandary when it comes to front ends (MS Win 3.1 based.)
>
> We're looking at MS Access, Powerbuilder 3.0, Unify Vision, and
> SQLWindows. We have one developer here pushing hard for Access,
> mainly because he's a big MS/Access fan. I'm skeptical as to
> whether Access is robust enough to get the job done, but I would
> appreciate any comments as to the viability of using Access, or
> any other front-end. Eventually, we're looking at 40-50 users
> using our application so user licensing is another concern.

> Any information or lessons laerned would be appreciated!
>
> Jeff T. (thomasjd_at_istc.wpafb.af.mil)

I would not select Access by itself I would use a combination of VB prf 3.0 and Access. VB to do the app and Access for adhoc query and table creation. Also dpeneding on the size of the data where it lives is crucial. Our shop is on a tight budget so we have leaned towards VB but from what I have read Powerbuilder and SQL Windwos are excellent products but pricey. Thx Dave L Received on Fri Jan 07 1994 - 08:16:35 CET

Original text of this message