Re: Client/Server Front-ends

From: Carsten Kristensen <ckr_at_ocsbrg.no>
Date: 6 Jan 1994 22:24:54 -0800

jdthomas_at_nyx.cs.du.edu (Jeffery Thomas) writes:

Hello, Jeff!

> My organization is preparing to develop a client/server application
> using Oracle v7 Server on a Sun as the database engine. We're in
> a bit of quandary when it comes to front ends (MS Win 3.1 based.)

> We're looking at MS Access, Powerbuilder 3.0, Unify Vision, and
> SQLWindows. We have one developer here pushing hard for Access,

We have been using the Oracle Toolset (SQL*Forms, SQL*ReportWriter, Pro*C) for 5 years now, and have been reasonably satisfied with those. Platforms: SCO Unix (minicomputer style) and Novell 3.11 (client-server style). You might want to take a look at the new Oracle CDE (Common Development Environment). We haven't really started using it yet, but what we've seen so far is OK. I believe it is available both under Motif and MS-Windows (our preffered variety). Oracle CDE contains SQL*Forms 4.0, SQL*Reports 2.0 and SQL*Graphics.

> Any information or lessons laerned would be appreciated!

Pro's: Probably the best integration with an Oracle database. Portable

	to all platforms supported by Oracle - about 80 OS'es. All
	std Win elements available - list boxes, graphics, icons,
	buttons, fonts, colors, etc.

Con's: Huge tools, demanding on your hardware (clients) - especially
	the design part. The look and feel of your app's will not be
	100% Microsoft Windows, that's the price we pay for portability.
	Some bugs in these first releases of the product, gives you the
	occasional GPF.

We would like to hear what your final choice is, and why - if possible.

Good luck!

--
| Carsten Kristensen		| E-mail: ckr_at_ocsbrg.no 	|
| Offshore Computer Services AS | Tel   : +47 55 99 88 70	|