Oracle DATE datatype question

From: Mark.Lawrence <mark_at_drd.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 1994 00:17:55 GMT

Hey all,

I've got a situation where the same database will be sitting on a UNIX server running oracle and on a windows machine which will access both the oracle engine remotely and a watcom db locally via ODBC. One issue I've been chewing on: Oracle has a DATE datatype. WatCom has a DATE and TIME datatype. I'm actually used to using Sybase which is like Oracle (has what they call a DATETIME datatype).

Is my understanding correct that the Oracle DATE datatype handles both date and time? If so, if I have a couple of columns declared as follows:

  create table foo_report (

  date reportdate NULL,
  date reporttime NULL,

  )

is it easy to pick out the part of interest? I have to split them up like this to accomodate the LCD, i.e. pc databases that insist on having only a strictly date type and a strictly time type.

In sybase, its easy to extract out just the date info or the time info from a given result. I'm wondering the same about oracle.

Regards and TIA,

--
Mark Lawrence                                            mark.lawrence_at_drd.com
DRD Corporation                                          +1.918.743.3013