Moving Oracle Instance under Netware

From: Jim Hogan <jimh_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 6 Jan 1994 20:36:28 GMT

We have Oracle 6 running as an NLM under Netware 3.11 on a Compaq SystemPro/LT.

We are effectively out of diskspace on our mirrored (510/510) IDA subsystem, so we purchased a SCSI-2 ProLinea subsystem an will install mirrored 1.05 GB drives.

What we'd like to do is move the Oracle instance completely off of the (SYS2) volume on the IDA subsystem and onto a new volume on the SCSI-2 drive. We'd then use SYS2 as a file storage area for batch processing.

Question: Can we simply bring down Oracle on SYS2 then copy its constituent files to the new volume? Assuming we correct any volume-related references in our config, will it restart after moving. Must we do something more extreme to relocate Oracle completely? Export/import?

We could just extend the Oracle instance by allocating some space on the new SCSI volume. Any disadvantages to this?

Tak!

   Jim Hogan, Systems Analyst / Didliologist*    Seattle-King County Department of Public Health

  *Didliology (did-le-ol-o-ge) n., 1. The avocation of corrupt    epidemiologists; 2. The action of small children who, standing    around a large, withdrawn turtle, poke it with a stick.