Re: ODBC & Oracle

From: <hpujol_at_dwp.la.ca.us>
Date: 6 Jan 94 01:26:15 GMT

In article <CJ657I.Kn_at_kaija.spb.su>, <maxs_at_kaija.spb.su> writes:

> Which Oracle's product should be used on server to establish connection
> from client that uses OBDC interface?
> Is there ODBC SDK available to use on Unix systems? How to get
> ODBC specification to design own applications in case unavailability
> SDK for Unix?
> I guess there is a lot of standards to provide multiple database
> connections but I don't know which.
> In particular my problem is:

Assuming your client is a PC running Windows, ODBC hides the SQL*NET API from your client database software. Underneath the ODBC driver you still have Oracle SQL*NET for Windows (the same is true for your Sybase connection although I don't use Sybase). So what you need on your Oracle box in Unix is just SQL*NET TCP/IP and your client needs SQL*NET windows and the ODBC for Oracle driver (and whatever similar product Sybase clients need). Received on Thu Jan 06 1994 - 02:26:15 CET

Original text of this message