Re: Long fields in SQL*Forms 3.0

From: Robert J. McCallister <rjmac_at_crl.com>
Date: 5 Jan 1994 13:49:34 -0800

Marc Cannava (mnc_at_mitre.org) wrote:

:*I'm setting up a new database in Oracle V6 running Forms V3. We have
:*a "Comments" field in the database, a LONG field, and we wish to
:*display it on a multi-line field in the form. However, we are unable
:*to specify a multi-line field without having the user call up the
:*"field editor". Is there any way to have the form simply come up with
:*some fields displayed as multi-line?

:*Thanks for your help!!

:*\marc

:*--
:*Marc N. Cannava | Tigers are nimble,
:*Technical Staff, The MITRE Corporation | And light on their toes,
:*Email: mnc_at_mitre.org | My RE-spect for tigers,
:*Phone: 617-271-3342 Fax: 617-271-7722 | Continually grows. --Hobbes

There is a way that the user will think that the field the are looking at is displaying a multiple line field, but you are still using the field edit function.

Use an ON-NEW-FIELD-INSTANCE trigger for the field you want to display the multi-line info.

code:

begin
  edit_field;
end;

This cause the field editor to be kicked in when entering the field. It is a kind of cute way to fool the user in thinking they are seeing a multi-line field.

|  Robert J. McCallister    |                                     |
|  rjmac_at_crl.com            |        THIS SPACE FOR RENT          |
|  RJM Software Engineering |                                     |
|                           |  Tilde: That little squiggly line.  |