Re: 7 Oracle7 Course Recommendations

From: <6648470_at_LMSC5.IS.LMSC.LOCKHEED.COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 1994 17:20:24 GMT

to find the proper Oracle7 training and "get trained". So here's my question:  what course(s) should I attend? Oracle offers:

           Administer the Oracle7 Database I
           Oracle7: New Features and Options Workshop

I've attended the two classes above. The new features wkshp was a custom on-site class at my company. I attended Administer I in Redwood City. I was introduced to Oracle in the new features workshop, so it wasn't much use to me. I suspect it might be more useful to an experienced Oracle user. The Administer I class was 'intro' to DBA on Oracle. I came out of an MVS/DB2 background and am familiar with relational DBA work. I found the class straight forward and full of relevant Oracle details ( architecture, Oracle specific syntax, recovery provisions, etc).

You won't learn much about the tasks you ought to perform, but more about how to do them on Oracle7. The class was task oriented, and another DBA I know favors the class notes over the manual because it walks through the steps for a particular activity.

I found it useful for getting my feet on the ground after coming from a completely different 'cultural' background :-).

Also, I remember an instructor comment that the new feature class and the new features workshop covered the same ground.

probably not enough info to make your decisions, but I hope it helps.

Ralph Byrd
rbyrd_at_lmsc.lockheed.com Received on Tue Jan 04 1994 - 18:20:24 CET

Original text of this message