Re: Hot vs Archive backups in V7 on unix

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_exlog.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 94 16:39:35 GMT

In article <shatzmanCJ38F6.H9K_at_netcom.com> shatzman_at_netcom.com (Barry Shatzman) writes:

>the main difference would be how fast you could recover. depending on how
>much activity there is on your db, a weeks worth of redo logs might take
>a lot longer than a day's worth

There is also the problem of extending your liability. Your possable points of failure go from N Logfiles to N*7. If any one of them is hosed, you have real problems.

Also, I once had to recover a database from a weekly cold and a bunch of logfiles. The weekly turned out to be bad and I had to go to the backup the week before that. Just finding room for 500mb of logfiles in addition to the 500mb that where online was a pain.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		Baker Hughes Inteq, Inc
Oracle Database Administrator 			lparsons_at_exlog.com