Re: Hot vs Archive backups in V7 on unix

From: Barry Shatzman <shatzman_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 1994 04:28:16 GMT

the main difference would be how fast you could recover. depending on how much activity there is on your db, a weeks worth of redo logs might take a lot longer than a day's worth

barry

Ron Beery (rbeery_at_wtcp.DaytonOH.NCR.COM) wrote:

: I'm looking into Oracle V7 backup strategies in Unix for a
: database needing 6x24, 1x20 availability. I am considering two
: options.

: 1) Daily Hot backups. And weekly cold backups.

: 2) Daily backups of archive logs, control file and init.ora
: files. And weekly cold backups.

: Conceptually, option 2 doesn't seem all that much different
: from daily cold backups. I keep the archive files around for
: eight days; therefore, I should need only the Sunday tape and
: possibly one weeknight tape for recovery. And all files are on
: RAID. Other than needing more archive files for recovery, I
: don't see much difference.

: What is the Net Wisdom and Net Experience using option 2? It
: seems too simple. What am I overlooking?

: ps. Additional backups via database exports are down the road.

: --
: Ron Beery
: "Everthing is computerized. What could possibly go wrong?"