Help needed re Installing O7 on DEC

From: Ashish Gupta <agupta_at_Xenon.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 3 Jan 94 18:30:38

We are trying to install ORACLE7 on a DEC machine from TK50 tapes and are running into problems.

we are using a staging area for installation. Of the three TK50 tapes that contain the DB, only 1 and 3 are asked for (in the process of building the staging area)! Tape number 2 is never requested!!

We succeeded in installing Pro C, SQL NET and the Took Kit installed, but not the main ORACLE7 Server product (RDBMS). It claims that the RDBMS isn't in the staging area although everything was loaded into the staging area (the diagnostics are included at the end of this message). maybe this is because of the never-asked-for tape 2.

Attempts to install directly without a staging area result in a lexical error in "unix.prd" and once this error is encountered, everything subsequent fails.

All the attempts were made using the disk space exclusively on one DEC machine.

Suggestions on what we could be doing wrong and how to fix it will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comrades-in-futility

ERROR DIAGNOSTIC

            lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq  Not In Stage  qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk
          lqx                                                    xqk
          x x  ORACLE7 Server (RDBMS) does not appear to be in   x x
          x x  the staging area (/usr/oracle/pstage).  Reload    x x
          x x  the product's software into the staging area to   x x
          x x  install this product.                             x x
          x x                                                    x x
          x x  Select (OK) to continue with the installation     x x
          x x  of the remaining selected products without        x x
          x x  installing this product.  Select (Cancel) to      x x
          x x  abort the current installation.                   x x
          x x                                                    x x
          x x                                                    x x
          x x                                                    x x
          x x                                                    x x
          x x                                         (OK)       x x
          x x                                                    x x
          x x   (Help...)          (Backup)           (Cancel)   x x
          mqx                                                    xqj

--

Ashish

Barnes #3-H,                        Margaret Jacks Hall,
Escondido Village,                  Room 341, Bldg 460,
Stanford, CA - 94305                Stanford, CA 94305-2140
Phone: 415-497-4962                 Phone: 415-723-1658