Re: HELP! Oracle CASE + AIX 3.2.4 + X11R5

From: Magnus Lonnroth <mloennro_at_se.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 1994 08:51:25 GMT

  Richard> I am in desparate need of help! Oracle have refused to
  Richard> support us with Oracle CASE because we are using X11R5 - I
  Richard> can't really see what the difference can be, X11R5 from
  Richard> what I understand is backwards compatable with X11R4.

  Richard> We are supposed to be using ORACLE CASE as a CASE tool for
  Richard> a third year course, but can't get the thing to work
  Richard> properly... When it is supposed to ask for the application
  Richard> all it does is come up with "**Cannot get text from
  Richard> ORACLE**" everywhere there is supposed to be text. In the
  Richard> launch window we get a screenful of "empty copy queue"
  Richard> (which I presume is some form of debug stuff). I can get it
  Richard> past that stage because I know what the screen asks for -
  Richard> so I get to the horizon screen and launch the Entity
  Richard> Diagrammer - but when I try and do Diagram New I get
  Richard> "malloc returned NULL" (in the launch window, we have 175Mb   Richard> of free memory left) and the Entity Diagrammer quits.

  Richard> Has anyone got any ideas? I'm at a complete loss - the   Richard> documentation with this product is abysmal!

  Richard> Thanks, Richard

This seems to be an unsupported configuration. You might want to try the following (works OK on my demo-machine, Sun4/X11R5/Motif):

You must recompile the case-specific fonts. Make a backup of ?/cdes/admin/fonts/case_1.1. Recreate this directory and run bdftopcf on each .bdf file in ?/cdes/admin/fonts. This will create fonts usable by an X11R5 server. Don't forget to run mkfontdir afterwards.

If you are running against a v7 database, make sure that the NLS_LANG environment variable is undefined. Also, make sure that the LANGUAGE environment variable is set to the *same* characterset as the v7 database. Otherwise, characterset conversion will mess up the vector-graphics in the diagrammers.

hope this helps,

--

Magnus Lonnroth
Tech.Sales & Consultant