CONNECTING TO ORACLE SERV

From: Jared P. Hecker <hecker_at_panix.com>
Date: 31 Dec 1993 15:28:20 -0500

Carl.Hoan>I'm planning to write Windows C++ programs using Borland C++ 3.1 to access
Carl.Hoan>Oracle server. What do I need to achieve this connection? Database Library for
Carl.Hoan>API? Network DLL? We're running on Novell Netware and Token Ring. Thanks for
Carl.Hoan>any help on this.

Carl, you need a product called SQL*Net for the particular protocol you are running between client and server - e.g., if it's the Oracle NLM, you need SQL*Net for SPX. This is usually shipped for DOS clients as part of the server piece. You also need either Pro*C, the Oracle precompiler, or a third-party class library that can talk to SQL*Net. I have heard (this is unsubstantiated) that Rogue Wave's db.h++ will do this, and I know they write for Borland's compiler. Give 'em a call.

hth -

jh

---
 þ MR/2 þ

--
Jared Hecker               |   OS/2 - the user-friendly Unix
hecker_at_panix.com           |