Re: Oracle and Visual Basic

From: David I. Laudicina <dil.admin_at_mhs.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1993 08:42:30

>Here below is a Visual Basic code which opens the Oracle database and creates
>one dynaset:
> Dim db as DataBase, d as DynaSet
> set db = OpenDatabase("", False, False, "ODBC;DSN=Oracle7;")
> set d = CreateDynaSet("select * from depcode")
>When this code is finished "d" is a dynaset which is not updatable.
>For example, d.updatable=False, and d.Edit cannot be executed.

>Can anyone explain why this is the case ?
>I thought that the dynaset should be updatable just as if it were a dynaset
>for the M.S. Access database.

>I created an Access database and attached an Oracle table to it but the
>dynaset for the oracle table was still non-updatable but dynasets for the
>Access tables were updatable.

>Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong here ?
>Any comments would be greatly appreciated,

I have found the same for Sybase. I can update the SQL Server with SQLPassthrough and use the SQL Server Transact update command but the update method for the dynaset in VB doe snot work. It probably has something to do woth the ODBC implementation. I wish there was more documentation on how VB ODBC works behind the scenes.
Thx Dave L Received on Wed Dec 29 1993 - 08:42:30 CET

Original text of this message